And so it begins…

We have had a fun and busy start to the school year, participating in many different activities and getting to know each other.

To celebrate Chinese New Year, we made dragons and lanterns:

dragons 2 dragons 1 lanterns 4 lanterns 3 lanterns 2lanterns 1

We practised counting forwards and backwards between zero and ten as we read Dr Seuss’ Ten Apples Up On Top. Then we did our best to cut and paste numbered apples in order:

Ten Apples Up On TopTAUOT 1TAUOT 3
TAUOT 4

We read a very funny big book called One Cold Wet Night. It is about a farmer who gets up during the night, and returns to find a menagerie in his bed. Each child drew a picture and dictated a sentence about his or her favourite part of the story:

One Cold Wet NightOCWN 1 OCWN 2OCWN 3 OCWN 4OCWN 5 OCWN 6OCWN 7OCWN 8OCWN 9 OCWN 9AOCWN 9B OCWN 9C
OCWN 9D

Activity tables have been very popular, with students moving between a variety of activities that allow them to explore colour, shape and structure. These activities also assist in the development of fine motor skills and cooperative learning:

foam shapes geoboards how to draw lego magnetic buttons pattern blocks pinboards snakes ladders

2 thoughts on “And so it begins…

1. Hi Cat,
    Love your blog!
    Also, we really like the smiley faces over the children’s faces; a great idea to protect the children’s identity … so effective in fact, that I can’t work out which photo H is in! Can you please tell me which one it is? (e.g. 1st, 2nd, etc.)

• Thanks! To be honest, I can’t remember who is in which photo, but I do remember which piece of work is H’s. I’ll show the children the blog so H can point it out to you.